woensdag 27 april 2022

THE BATMAN : Robert Pattinson plays Bruce Wayne and Batman in a 3 hour Action Extravaganza, or so they say !

 

Matt Reeves' new film THE BATMAN is not one to take its subject lightly. The film takes 3 hours to explain us who this character is that is denying himself a normal life and takes on these criminals with nothing more than his protective suit and a souped up car.

The film THE BATMAN stars Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne and BATMAN but his characterisation seems to be that Batman is his true identity and Bruce Wayne his secret identity. As something rather new, Matt Reeves's film does show off Batman as a detective, which is something that we never saw before in any of the films. But where Pattinson is fairly interesting as Batman ( I think he comes across better than Christian Bale did at the time in the Nolan films), his Bruce Wayne leaves something to be desired.

I am not really impressed with the action. Not that we've seen it before but it is not really novel. Okay, this is a new look for the Riddler as well as a new look for Catwoman, (and Zoe Kravitz is quite interesting indeed as Selina Kyle) but three hours of rather relentless action, and the same continously droning noise that has to pass for music, no, thanks. Michael Giacchino is a composer who has done some memorable scores in the past (anyone???) but here, all he creates is 'mood noise' that does not give us any themes for the characters whatsoever. Give me DANNY ELFMAN any day !

But whatever I might be thinking of this film, it has its fans. And my opinion, even though that is the reason I am writing this, is not really of importance to those who like this film. Yes, there are good elements in this film. But if I recall properly, I was not particularly impressed with BATMAN BEGINS either. So if a sequel will be made, I hope it will be better than this film. I hope it will be of normal length and I hope Bruce Wayne will look like what Bruce Wayne should look like.

In the meantime, I have read that a sequel has already been greenlit. That means Pattinson and Reeves will be back for a Part 2. But I suppose that will take a good 2 to 3 years to make. I, for one, am not holding my breath. I do not see Pattinson as the future of Batman on film. Personally, I feel no one has yet surpassed Michael Keaton as Batman and I don't care what you say: I think Ben Affleck was terrific as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. But okay, I will see The BATMAN 2 when it comes. And You ???

Geen opmerkingen: