maandag 6 juli 2020

Rest in Peace: ENNIO MORRICONE 1928-2020


Ennio Morricone

Today the world of the movies is in deep mourning. Ennio Morricone has passed away. He was 91 years old. I have never met the Maestro but he has left us an enormous legacy of more than 50 years of film music. When people ask me, "which one is your favorite?", I usually say THE UNTOUCHABLES. But the truth is with a body of work that massive it is nothing but shortsighted to be able to only see one favorite title. And if I look again at what he has left us, I see so many that are wonderful.
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a legendary score. So is Once Upon A Time in the West. But I also love My Name Is Nobody and 1900. I love John Carpenter's The Thing and although I have no great fondness for the film, the music of THE MISSION is fantastic. Casualties Of War. Frantic. In the Line of Fire. Wolf. Malena, there simply are too many to mention them all.
Ennio Morricone would even be able to make great music for crappy movies. Exorcist II The Heretic comes to mind but it does not end there. Although we are deeply saddened that he has left us, we rejoice in the musical legacy he has left behind for us.

Grazie, Maestro, Grazie !!!

Geen opmerkingen: