maandag 21 oktober 2019

Are the films of the Cinematic Marvel Universe really rubbish?


Martin Scorese has stated in an interview that he does not think the Marvel movies are "cinema" and Francis Ford Coppola has supported his ideas and gone even further to say they are "despicable". Should you be insulted by this? 

The answer to this is wholly and reservedly NO.  Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola are of a time in which Marvel was not represented in the cinema at all. And the only people who at that time would have wanted to see Marvel Movies, would be people who were reading the comic books. 
And there you have it: Martin Scoresese and Francis Ford Coppola did not read these comic books. They were versed in normal literature. So they do not share the investment that I personally have in the Marvel Movies.

A few years ago, Clint Eastwood said: "Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. " That is true and it is also NOT A BAD THING. I don't care for Shakespearean  drama but a lot of people like it . I don't like modern hip hop and rap music but a lot of people like that too.  Opinions do not mean anything. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion. 

So do I hate Scorsese or Coppola for having made these statements? No.  They don't care for the Marvel movies. That's the end of that.  And it's fine ! We all have our own preferences. I do not want to see Martin Scorese's The Irishman in the cinema at a length of 3 and a half hours. I do not want to see it shorter but I will see it at home.  I love Coppola's  Bram Stoker's Dracula, but I doubt if I will see his film Megalopolis at all.  It's just an opinion, not to get riled up about.

Thank you for reading this. Feel free to leave a note, but let's keep it civil.


Geen opmerkingen: