zaterdag 24 december 2016

ROGUE ONE : A STAR WARS STORY ???


People who know me personally know that I have all of the George Lucas Star Wars films at home but that I am not a fan of J.J. Abrams' The Force Awakens. So when I had the chance to go see ROGUE ONE, the new Star Wars film that does not continue the Force Awakens story-line, I figured I had better be super-critical again and see if the stuff improves. I will try not to spoil it for those who have not seen it yet but in the end, if you know all the other films, you already know what happens in this one, without even having seen it. So forget about that no spoiler promise.


Let me first say that I do not want to rehash the story of the film itself here or how it came to be. I want to be blunt here in presenting my opinion. I appreciate what they did here to try and fit it into place so that EPISODE IV can follow immediately and that it adds to the earlier films. It builds on the already existing world that was created by George Lucas in the original trilogy. What is a shame however, is that a number of characters are created here for the sole purpose of being led to their deaths – this so-called great sacrifice that was made to get the Death Star plans to the people who could then proceed to blow it up in Episode IV. Unfortunately this does not allow for a well-rounded approach with the characters in this film. (Did Jyn Erso even have a love in her life, other than her parents which she lost during this film? She comes across as a very monotonous character, but I suppose it would have taken a new trilogy to have smoothed out these kind of wrinkles and make it more believable.)

Jyn: "This guy here? Don't make me laugh, please !"

The overall tone of the film is not like a Star Wars film as the violence is much harsher and more realistic, not so glossed over as in the other films. It treats the film as a general war movie, which is also why this film is a good deal darker than what we are used to from a Star Wars film.


It was however very good fun to see the familiar faces, even if very briefly, C3PO and R2D2 for a cameo appearance, the adopted father of Leia played by Jimmy Smits in the second Lucas-directed trilogy, Leia at the very end of the film and for more than expected, PETER CUSHING (digitally resurrected) as Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader (voiced again by James Earl Jones).  The digitally resurrected PETER CUSHING looked interesting but I had the idea I was looking at a computer game character and not a photo-realistic character. But it looked so compelling that it did NOT get you out of the story which is quite a feat. 


The acting is okay in this film, everybody takes this stuff very seriously. However, as said before, knowing that everyone in this group of characters dies ( the so-called big sacrifice of the Rebellion mentioned in Episode IV) makes this a very one-sided film and not one I aim to go see again with my grandchildren.ROGUE ONE treats the conflict as a realistic war picture and that makes it way too realistic for children below 12 to watch this. I do not rate this a great film and Michael Giacchino’s hackwork of copying the original masterpieces of John Williams does not help (me) much either. But maybe, watching it again later will mellow my mood a little over it. For now, however, I am disappointed. First we had The Force Awakens which was not up to par, now this one. I am beginning to think George Lucas should never have sold off his Star Wars franchise! Here's hoping that next year's installment will be a better one.


Last Note: I have just read that George Lucas has said he liked this film.  I may have to give this one another shot within a couple of months, when I may be in a more forgiving mood. If that happens to be the case and I can give this film more appreciation than I could now, I will promise herewith that I will amend this article. Hey, it's only my opinion.


May the Force Be With You !!!

Geen opmerkingen: