donderdag 27 december 2012

The Death of Spider-Man ???

Marvel Comics seems to be interested in killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. A few years ago, the companion series ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, which was begun a decade ago to see what the effect would have been if Peter Parker had been a nerdy kid in the late 1990s instead of the early 1960s, was concluded with a most heroic deed: Spider-Man gave his life in battle to save others.
This series was brought to a close so that another young hero could take the suit of Spider-Man and make it his own. But the death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man was well done, excellently written and very well drawn. I must admit I was very touched by the sincere way in which Peter Parker laid down his life to save others.I had not followed the whole series of Ultimate Spider-Man but I was indeed impressed with that book.
The Amazing Spider-Man, which has now reached its 700th issue, seems to need to make a similar statement but fails to do so. In confronting Dr. Octopus, in a previous issue Octopus succeeded in transferring the personality of Peter Parker to the frail and near death body of Dr. Octopus, while Otto Octavius's spirit took control of Peter's body. Details elude me at this point, they do not matter for the point I am going to make here.
First of all, in terms of dramatic presentation, I feel this story is sorely lacking. It does not come across to me as a sincere story, with the intent to indeed end the adventures of Spider-Man. It reeks too much (like two decades ago with the death of a certain DC superhero)of a commercial decision, to poke up the sales a little to a lot. The art, likewise is subpar and nowhere near as good as has been seen before. The death of the Ultimate Spider-Man was handled way better.But then….. I don’t think this is a sincere exit for Peter Parker. I believe that the person that is Dr Otto Octavius, Doc Oc, is in no way up to the challenge of taking on a life as burdensome as Peter Parker’s. Like with the assassination of Captain America a few years ago, I believe in a few months we’ll see some kind of return of Peter Parker to this world. I’m not impressed with this Dan Slott finale. And therefore I firmly believe The Amazing Spider-Man will be back. Mark my words. Peter Parker will be back.
PS naturally, all artwork copyright Marvel Comics.

Geen opmerkingen: