vrijdag 28 mei 2010

The Best TV Shows !!


STAR TREK has been a show that I can remember going back as far as I can remember watching television. My family was one of the lucky ones in the street to have an early color model and we were watching a lot of shows at the time that I have fond memories of. I remember Bonanza, I remember Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, I remember Daktari and I even remember the Ron Ely Tarzan television series. But the fondest memories I have is of seeing the adventures of the intrepid crew of the NCC1701 USS Enterprise in the classic show Star Trek.

I guess I was about 3 years old so it must have been around 1969 or 1970 when these adventures were televised in our country. Yes, I do recall reading that some episodes were shown in 1967 already but I would have been too young to watch those. Also that would not have been shown in color then for in the Netherlands color television made its entrance around 1968 or 1969. I remember that we were watching Star Trek with great regularity as we were treated by not only our own Dutch televsion station but by the Belgian television station and the German station as well (this last of course in a German synched version, which was funny at times). So we sometimes were watching the same episodes over and over again. But we never got all of the 79 episodes in the first years. At that time, packages of about 37 episodes were affordably sold to foreign stations before episodes were stripped daily, as was the custom later on.

A Scene from Where No Man Has Gone Before from the Remastered Editions of 2006/2007

The classic Star Trek show was repeated about three times in my first 12 years of my life. And while other shows were forgotten or otherwise remembered as being dated later on, Star Trek somehow remained in my mind's eye as being fresh all the time. Which is why the original show has never dated for me. I guess William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy would have liked to have been that young again. Of course, there are many episodes that are worthwhile and it would be terribly presumptuous of me to do that in one single article. So for that matter, I will be discussing episodes here on my blog that I consider to be worthwhile, no matter what. For yes, it has always been said that the first and second season episodes featured the best episodes (which I don't deny) but there were some real gems present in the third year as well. ( I am particularly fond of All Our Yesterdays, which shows us a very interesting side of Spock in a terrible situation. )

So let's start the Trek.

Geen opmerkingen: